Merging Waters Mid-Week
March 1, 2017
UPCOMING SUNDAY SERVICES at 10:30 a.m.
March 5th BUC, Lent I. Communion.
March 12th Union, Lent II. Spare Parts
March 19th BUC, Lent III
March 26th Union, Lent IV
April 2nd BUC, Lent V
We don’t always have room in the bulletin to fit in all the “Attitudes of Gratitude” that we would like…so here are a few notes of thanks (some of which are somewhat belated):
- Big thanks to our basement neighbours Gabrielle and Jessica at Union for their honesty. They found money on the floor of the sanctuary and the upstairs kitchen while sweeping the floors and turned it into Jane for deposit.
- Nancy Gelsthorpe had the great idea to clean out the photocopy room. Thank you for this terrific initiative – it looks like a different space.
- Ralph Nener kindly remounted Jane’s office blinds at BUC and replaced her lightbulb all the while keeping tabs on the rising water in the courtyard and staying in touch with the City of Beaconsfield.
- Mark Lachapelle of the City of Beaconsfield – who upon arrival at the church ahead of the City’s concert last Sunday, discovered that the hallway had been flooded. He not only let Jane know, but took the initiative of finding a mop and bucket and cleaning it all up.
- Last week we had a bit of a sewer problem at Union that required some noisy and dusty ministrations by our plumber. Jim Gelsthorpe spent a lot of time with the crew and the job was pretty well cleared up in 1-1/2 days. Jim is shown here clearing up some final fitting adjustments.
- Thanks to Bonnie Norris and Helen Fyles who organized a successful soup sale at Union. Bravo!
- To the Merging Waters Guys under the direction of Eric Norris for setting up, cooking dinner, providing entertainment and cleaning up at the Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinner. You provided a fantastic opportunity for fellowship at Merging Waters!
The Merging Waters Lenten Project
Since Lent is about change, why not try some of these ideas during the next forty days? In order to be awakened to the change, write down your actions on your c
alendar each day. Come every Sunday during Lent and be willing to share your actions with a friend during coffee time.
• Every day, put a non-perishable food stuff in a bag or box for the local food bank or St Columba House
• Declutter your house a little bit every day. Get rid of the clothes that don’t fit, those kitchen plates, gadgets or pans you never use. The books that you are continuously dusting. All these things can be donated to Boutique 24 or another charity of your choice.
• Give away a smile or a compliment every day of Lent.
• Forgive a long-held grudge. Forgiving someone else will bless you as much – if not more – than the person you forgive.
• Write a letter to the editor about a social justice issue.
• Volunteer an hour of your time or contribute an hour’s salary to a group or organization that is seeking to make peace in the local community or in the world.
Or come up with your very own wonderful ideas!
.This Friday! Merging Waters Pastoral Charge will be participating once again with our Christian neighbors in the World Day of Prayer 2017 to be celebrated on Friday, March 3rd at 1:30 pm at Christ Church Beaurepaire, 455 Church Street, Beaconsfield. The service this year has been written by the women of The Philippines and the theme is “Am I Being Unfair to You”. A reception will follow the service. Everyone is welcome! Please invite your friends to join in celebrating this ecumenical event.
Next Week! Lenten Book Discussion – Plans have changed and a new book has been chosen by consensus! The Shack by William P. Young will be discussed March 7th from 1:30 – 3:30 chez Vicki. Then on Tuesday March 14th, the book discussion group will go to see the movie The Shack (based on the book) – at a time yet to de decided – most likely at the Kirkland Colisée.
REPORT ON WINTER FOODIE SALE
THANK YOU to all you wonderful Soup, Chili and Spaghetti Sauce cooks, not to mention one person who made cinnamon buns. Because of such an excellent response the total in sales came to $576. Lynn Thompson’s orders for placemats came to $233 in sales. Congratulations and thank you to both cooks, helpers, and customers.
Bonnie Norris & Helen Fyles
West Island Lenten Lunches are being held each Wednesday between 11:30 & 1:00 from March 8th to April 5th in the hall at Christ Church Beaurepaire. Lunch is $8 per person. BUC & Union Churches are responsible for preparing the lunch on March 29th. . A signup sheet for volunteers to make soup and/or squares & help during the Luncheon will be posted in each church. Our designated soup is “Beef & Barley”. Please see copies of the recipe with the signup sheet.
The second annual Variety Show at Beaurepaire will be on Friday, March 17th starting at 7:30. If you have a story, song, dance, skit or poetry to share in an informal setting, please confirm with Victoria. A free-will donation is part of the evening to raise funds for Caring for Kenya and Saint Columba House. For questions and information please contact Victoria or Keith at 514-425-2136 or email@example.com Invite you friends and neighbours for a lovely evening of fun.
Yoga with Bryson Davis will exceptionally be at 6 p.m. in the Sanctuary at Union Church on March 7th to allow people to attend Soup Pot Cinema at 7. $7.50 per class. If you wish to participate, you must call Bryson at least 24 hours before each class to confirm your participation at 514-980-0905.
Soup Pot Cinema next Tuesday March 7th at 7:00 p.m. at Union. We will be showing Wadjda (2012) 7.6 stars 1h38min. Comedy/Drama; 22 wins; 32 Nominations. Wadjda is a movie of firsts. This is the first feature film made by a female Saudi filmmaker, in a country where cinemas are rare. It is also the first feature film shot entirely in Saudi Arabia. Writer-director Haifaa Al Mansour has broken many barriers with her new film which is the story of an enterprising young girl living in a suburb of Riyadh determined to raise enough money to buy a bike in a society that sees bicycles as dangerous to a girl’s virtue. Suggested donation: $7 per person, but not if you bring soup or bread or ice cream. Please contact Susan Hawker if you can bring soup, bread or ice cream.
“Cabaret du Chat Noir” Saturday April 22nd
Mark your calendars now! Pierre Gallant and company are in the process of planning a “Cabaret du Chat Noir” complete with musical and theatrical acts in the style of a French Cabaret, Saturday April 22nd. This is a fundraiser for Union Church and CASCA (a local shelter for abandoned cats). Tickets ($20) will be limited, so we encourage you to reserve now with Jan Langelier, firstname.lastname@example.org. 514- 453-7103
Just a friendly reminder that bulletin covers can be sponsored. You can sponsor a bulletin to celebrate or congratulate someone, in memory of a loved one or for no reason at all! Cost of sponsorship is $25. Look for forms at the back of the sanctuary or call or email Jane at either church office. All Sundays between now and the end of the year are currently available.
Vicki’s Reading Corner
Some suggested articles from our Minister:
Embracing the Spirit:
59 Percent of Millennials Raised in a Church Have Dropped Out—And They’re Trying to Tell Us Why:
“Livin’ the Moment” Workshop Series
Mindfulness and the “slow living movement” are gaining popularity across the globe because of their many physical and mental health benefits.
Learn practical tips and techniques to integrate mindfulness and “slow living” into everyday life.
how to get rid of A.N.T.’s (automatic negative thinking)
how to be more present
how to simplify
Experience a chocolate meditation, a mindful walk,
guided and silent meditations, mindful music and art explorations.
Led by Terri Coyle on behalf of The Family Life Centre
4 Thursdays, March 16, 23, 30, April 6
1:30 – 3:30 PM
Cedar Park United Church
204 Lakeview, Pointe-Claire H9S 4C5
$40 per person (for the series) Register at 514 630-7794 or email@example.com
The Lakeshore Light Opera presents Gilbert and Sullivan’s Ruddigore – The Witch’s Curse. March 3,4,9 and 10 at 8:00 p.m. and March 5 & 11 at 2 p.m. Lakeside Academy Theatre, 5050 Sherbrooke, Lachine. Tickets $15-$28 www.llo.org or 514-804-4900
Beaconsfield United Church will be hosting members from the Community Garden at Fritz Farm on Thursday March 2nd at 9.15am. They will be doing a presentation on the program at the Community garden at Fritz Farm in Baie-D’Urfé. There will also be a special presentation on wildlife gardening and native plants. Muffins and Coffee will be served at 9am. Beaconsfield United Church, 202 Woodside Rd, Beaconsfield. For more information call 514-695-0600 or e-mail Emilie at em_g123@hotmail
March 18 @ 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm- Loss & Living: Making Room for Hope – ” To live in this world you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time come to let it go, to let it go. Mary Oliver ” This experiential workshop will explore ways to let our own grief and loss have their say; to acknowledge and validate our experiences so we can receive consolation, find hope and in so live vitally. RSVP: Donna Olinik – 514-626-4795 or firstname.lastname@example.org by March 13, 2017 – This event is co-sponsored by: Montreal City Mission and Ste-Genevieve United Church Bereavement Program.